USAWP - ZONE MISSION STATEMENT & GOALS
USA WATER POLO MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of USAWP is to grow the sport of water polo throughout the United States and win medals in the Olympic Games, FINA World Championships and Pan American Games. In order to accomplish this mission, USAWP sponsors and organizes water polo competition and training programs from introductory youth Splashball programs through 60+ Masters competitions, as well as selecting and training the Men’s and Women’s National Teams. In addition, USAWP provides training to, and certifies, water polo coaches and referees.
ZONE MISSION STATEMENT
The eleven (11) Zones of USAWP represent the essential organizing mechanism for regional volunteerism within USAWP. Each USAWP Zone is expected to build the water polo community within its region by creating, sponsoring and overseeing leagues and qualifying tournaments, clinics, and other services. Zone activities should be self-supporting, except for certain national obligations, such as attendance at national assemblies, which will be funded by USAWP. As ambassadors for our sport, each Zone, in collaboration with the USAWP national office, should strive to enhance the growth the sport throughout the country and to promote the sport at all levels.
GOALS & EXPECTATIONS FOR ZONES
Each Zone is expected to organize, develop and promote the sport of water polo using guidelines and goals set forth by USAWP under the direction of USAWP’s Director of Club and Membership Programs. The primary means of accomplishing this objective are:
• Encouraging increased water polo activity within the Zone by organizing competitions, assisting in the formation of new clubs within the Zone and facilitating training for athletes, coaches and referees;
• Informing USAWP members within the Zone regarding water polo competitions and developments within USAWP;
• Promoting USAWP member participation in the USAWP Olympic Development Program;
• Assisting in securing facilities for training and selection camps and regional training centers;
• Promoting USAWP member participation in national events by hosting national championships, national championship qualification tournaments, and regional leagues, events and camps;
• Providing oversight of local activities to ensure they are conducted in a manner consistent with USAWP’s Statement of Ethics and Values, as well as the policies and procedures within this manual and USA Water Polo’s Codes of Conduct for Athletes, Coaches and Referees; and
• Wisely using the resources available to the Zone to promote the sport of water polo and to increase the number of USAWP members in the Zone, and the quality of play, instruction and competition within the Zone.
USAWP ZONE MISSION STATEMENT & GOALS ON THE USAWP WEBSITE: